A prologue to The Best Two Years…

On October 28th, 12:30pm central time, Kamron Whipple was set apart as a full time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints by President Jones, of the West Plains Missouri Stake, and by his father Peter Whipple.

Pres. Jones (Left), Elder Whipple hugging his Mama and Dad (Right)
Pres. Jones (Left), Elder Whipple hugging his Mama and Dad (Right)

He later departed for Springfield, MO with his parents, as he had a 6am flight to Ghana (by way of Atlanta, GA/New York/London) departing on October 29th.

He said all of his goodbyes before bed on the 28th…

Elder Whipple (Right) pictured with younger brother Konnor.
Elder Whipple (Right) pictured with younger brother Konnor.

I will not deny nor confirm the shedding of tears, but I will say if there were tears, they were tears of happiness and well wishing.

Elder Whipple left for his mission the day before his Grandfather’s funeral. Although both he and grandfather are missed, we know that they both are where the Lord wants them.

Elder Whipple has chosen the scripture from 3 Nephi 5:13 to be placed on his mission plaque:

“Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.”

Several months ago, Elder Whipple was asked by friends where he wanted to serve his mission.  He said, “I don’t really have a preference, I just hope there are a lot of black people.”

When asked why he wanted to serve in an area with a large number of black people his response was, “they have this joyful spirit that I love to be around.”

Well, the Lord sent him to the best mission ever. He will indeed find joy in Kumasi, he will undoubtedly find trials, but this is the start of the best two years.

Elder Whipple (far Right)
Elder Whipple (far Right)

His first email home, sent October 30th:

2 days ago in a country far far away… With every emotion known to man running rampant in my system, I said goodbye to all of you, family and friends, and stepped on a plane headed for Atlanta. When I arrived at the airport it took me awhile to make my way over to the right terminal. When I found it I was the only missionary there… I was hoping someone else would show up.Thankfully I met up with 3 other missionaries and we waited 4 hours for our flight due to a delay. We made it to New York just in time to sprint to our plane where we joined 10 other missionaries headed for Ghana. The plane was cramped and uncomfortable, so I didn’t sleep at all… But it’s alright, I’m way to excited to be tired right now! At the airport in Ghana we were swarmed by waves of people wanted to help so they could take our money. We just had to push them away and struggle through the crowds to our van. Once we made it to the van it wasn’t a long ride, it was just crazy. People walk along and across the highway, other cars would come into our lane head on, no stop signs, and no speed limits. It’s so hot here… The sunshine will always be in my soul. 🙂 I love all of you.

Love, Elder Whipple

One thought on “A prologue to The Best Two Years…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s